Pre Nuptial and Post Nuptial Agreements
Carr & Co offer a professional and personal service, drawing up pre-nuptial and post nuptial agreements for couples prior to or following entering into a marriage or civil partnership.
A pre-nuptial agreement is a formal agreement entered into prior to a marriage or civil partnership and a post-nuptial agreement is a formal agreement entered after the marriage.
Pre-Nuptial and Post Nuptial Agreements set out who owns what at the time of marriage and also how the couple anticipate those assets should be divided in the event of divorce or separation.
In order to ensure that your agreement is upheld by the Court then it is important that the following steps are taken before entering into the agreement:
- Each of you obtain independent legal advice
- You are full and frank about the assets and income you both have so that you are both fully aware of the implications of the agreement and you have full information to assist you in making your decision.
- You each enter into the agreement without undue pressure.
- The agreement must be fair and realistic.
- The agreement must consider future changes for example the birth of any children.
To arrange a discussion at your convenience about pre-nuptial and post nuptial agreements with a family law solicitor please do not hesitate to contact us.